Archive for July, 2018
One of the most anticipated weeks of summer is back, (614) Restaurant Week! If you’re a major Columbus foodie or just looking to try something new—we highly recommend dining out the week of July 23 – July 28! During (614) Restaurant week you can enjoy 3-course meals that vary in price from $15-$40 at over 120 of Columbus’s best restaurants. Many Arena District and Grandview Yard restaurants are participating this year—keep reading to see what’s on the menu at some of our favorite Downtown Columbus Restaurants!
First Course – Choose 1
- Fried Pretzel Sticks + Honey Butter + House Cheese Sauce + Whole Grain Honey Mustard
- Cheese Curds
- White Cheddar Cheese Curds + Beer Batter + Chives + Sriracha Ranch
Second Course – Choose 1
- Pulled Chicken Tacos
- House Marinated Pulled Chicken + 3 Flour Tortillas + House Salsa + Chili Lime Crema + Pickled Onions + Cilantro
- Smoked Gouda Burger
- Signature Burger or House Made Black Bean Burger + Smoked Gouda + Arugula + Sauteed Mushrooms + Red Wine Caramelized Onions + Horseradish Garlic Mayo + Brioche Bun
- Blackened Boursin Chicken Sandwich
- Blackened Grilled Chicken + Boursin Cheese + Peppadew Peppers + Mixed Greens + Applewood Smoked Bacon + Brioche Bun
Dessert – Choose 1
- Summer Berry Cake
- Yellow Cake + Macerated Berries + Fresh Whipped Cream + Powdered Sugar
- Actual Brewing Co Beer
- Choose one of our current line-up of Actual Brewing Co. beers on tap!
First Course – Choose one
- Ensalada Nada
- sweet corn, avocado, tomato, pickled red onion, pepitas, chipotle pineapple vinaigrette, cotija, baby kale
- Chilli-Glazed Crispy Potatoes
- scallion and crema
- beefsteak tomato, piquillo pepper, croutons, greek yogurt, avocado, cucumber corn salsa
- nada’s Mac n’ Cheese
- roasted poblano, jalapeno, garlic breadcrumb *chef style- add kreeper*
Second Course – Choose one
- Carne Asada Taco (3 per order)
- grilled skirt steak, charred tomato salsa, chihuahua, crema
- Baja Fish Tacos (3 per order)
- beer battered hake, guacamole, lime cabbage, pico de gallo
- Carmelized Cauliflower Taco (3 per order)
- confit garlic goat cheese, cotija, fresno pepper, marcona almond
- Chicken Al Cardon Taco (3 per order)
- black bean puree, pico de gallo, guacamole, chihuahua cheese
- Mexico City Pastor (3 per order)
- chili marinated pork, onion, cilantro, pickled pineapple
Third Course – Choose one
- G.F Doughnuts
- small batch
- Peach Cobbler
- ancho spice, vanilla gelato
Course One – choose one
- UNLIMITED BRAZILIAN SIDES
- Consisting of Polenta with Parmesan, Brazilian Cheese Bread, and Glazed Bananas
Course Two – choose one
- UNLIMITED SOUP AND GOURMET SALAD AREA
- Over 50 items with Brazilian favorites
Course Three – choose one
- UNLIMITED GRILLED ITEMS
- Featuring our BBQ Fest menu with BBQ Ribs, BBQ Brisket, Top Sirloin, Chicken, Pork, Ham, Grilled Pineapple and much more. All 100% Gluten Free!
First Course – Choose One
- House Salad
- iceberg, romaine, organic spring mix, cucumber, vine-ripened tomato, croutons, red onion
- Caesar Salad
- romaine, parmesan, croutons, “eggless” caesar dressing
- Karen’s “Flying-D” Bison Chili
Second Course – Choose One
- Cedar Plank Salmon
- garlic mashed potatoes, parmesan roasted broccoli, horseradish sauce
- Bison Short Ribs
- slow-braised, garlic mashed potatoes, buttered carrots
- Certified Angus Beef New York Strip
- bison avilable for +6. choice of sides
Third Course – Choose One
- Cookie and Ice Cream
- Wildberry Cheesecake
Course 1 – Choose 1
- Haus Salad
- Hofbrauhaus salad mix, red onions, grape tomatoes, cucumbers, sweet corn, homemade seasoned pretzel croutons, served with house cucumber dressing
- Bratwurst Chili
- Our homemade semi-spicy chili
Course 2 – Choose 1
- Braised Pork Shank
- Our classic pork shank is hand-seasoned, oven-seared, and slow braised for hours. Served with mashed potatoes and sauerkraut.
- Kassler Rippchen
- Smoked pork chops served with spatzle and bier cheese and hot spiced applesauce
- Munchen Sampler
- A sampling of grilled wurst and crispy fried jagerschnitzel served with German potato salad and sauerkraut.
Dessert – Choose 1
- Bavarian Cream Puff
- Flaky puff pastry filled with homemade cream and lightly dusted with powdered sugar.
- Boston Cream Puff
- Imagine a fresh filled boston cream donut … but even better!
There are also a number of restaurants participating in the Grandview area: Aab India, The Avenue Steak Tavern, Balboa, Figlio Wood-Fired Pizza, Palle by Moretti, Matt the Miller’s Tavern, Spagio and Vino Vino!
Where are you planning to dine during (614) Restaurant Week?
Looking for things to do in downtown Columbus this summer? Many people enjoy making an event bucket list to help them get the most out of the season. Whether it’s a baseball game, outdoor concert, food and drink tasting or a family-friendly festival–there’s no shortage of things to do in Columbus in July and early August. To help make residents aware of the most popular activities in the city, we put together a summer 2018 Columbus Downtown Bucket List. Check off as many as you can!
1. Visit the Farmer’s Market on the Plaza
Every Thursday this summer from 11 AM-1:30 PM, come out to the plaza in front of Nationwide Arena for the Nationwide-Pearl Alley Growers’ Association Farmer’s Market. Here you’ll find fresh fruit, vegetables, honey and more. The mix of fresh food will change each week as the season progresses, so you’ll find new things to try with every visit!
2. Watch an Outdoor Rock Concert at EXPRESS LIVE!
Did you know that EXPRESS LIVE! was the first indoor and outdoor concert venue in America? This summer EXPRESS LIVE! has a lineup of music from some of the biggest names in a variety of genres. Here are a few of the groups taking the stage at EXPRESS LIVE! in Columbus this July and August. Click on each one to purchase tickets to their concert.
Coheed and Cambria & Taking Back Sunday | July 23
All Time Low & Dashboard Confessional | August 9
311 & Gym Class Heroes | August 16
When the weather is great, there’s few better things to do in Columbus than attend a Columbus Clippers baseball game at Huntington Park, the 2018 Best of the Ballparks winner. While the AAA team is in the midst of a winning season, fans also come out for the numerous promotional nights that feature discounted food and drink, prize giveaways, entertainment and much more.
Family-friendly crowd favorites during summer 2018 include Sugardale Dime-A-Dog nights on Mondays, Kids Eat Free nights on Wednesdays, seats in the all-you-can-eat Wendy’s Hamburger Balcony and the LEGO Let’s Play Tour Weekend from July 20-22.
Click here to purchase tickets to a 2018 Columbus Clippers baseball game.
4. Monthly Seasonal Craft Bier Keg Tapping
Come enjoy Hofbräuhaus’s newest Craft Bier every month on the first Tuesday at 7PM at their Keg tapping event. Their brewed-in-house bier and their authentic German cuisine will make you feel as if you’ve been transported to Munich, Germany!
5. Attend the 2018 Jazz & Rib Fest
One of the most highly anticipated summer events in downtown Columbus, the Jazz & Rib Fest–held Friday, July 20 through Sunday, July 22 along the Scioto Mile–gives jazz and rib aficionados the finest in both music and BBQ.
Now in its 39th year, this free, family-friendly event–hosted by the Columbus Recreation & Parks Department–features hot food, cool jazz and much more. Don’t miss this great celebration of summer in Columbus!
6. Explore Grandview Heights at the Grandview Hop
On August 28, the Columbus neighborhood of Grandview Heights will be hosting a summertime sidewalk market, Grandview Hop, from 5-9 PM. The family-friendly stroll takes place on Grandview Avenue between 1st and 5th Avenues, and features live music, local shopping, art, food and more. This is a great opportunity to explore one of Columbus’ most popular areas!
7. Watch a movie at NightLight 614
Looking for a fun low-key night? Head outdoors to watch a movie at NightLight 614! This ongoing event for the 21+ crowd takes place in the summer and features some of your favorite movies under the stars. Indulge in some of Columbus’s best food trucks and craft beer and wine while you relax and enjoying the show! Check out what’s coming to the big screen and get your tickets.
8. Play Kickball at McFerson Commons
The Arena District Kickball League–organized by the Arena District Athletic Club–will be starting its 2018 season on August 6, which means dozens of players will descend on McFerson Commons for weekly games. Whether you’re playing competitively or just for fun, there’s an opportunity to get involved, meet new people and stay active. Get some friends, coworkers or neighbors together and register your team by July 20!
9. Plan a Night out on the Pedal Wagon
The best way to experience the city of Columbus? With friends on a Pedal Wagon cruising through the Arena District and the Short North! The ride starts in the Arena District and allows for you and up to 15 riders to enjoy an adult beverage as you pedal your way down the streets of Columbus. The ride takes 2-3 hours and you’ll have the opportunity to stop into a few bars and restaurants along the way. Book your adventure today!
10. Chow down at the Columbus Food Truck Festival
Head down to the Scioto Mile on August 17 and 18 for the 8th Annual Columbus Food Truck Festival! This scrumptious event is free to attend and features 2 stages with live music and over 50 of Columbus’s best food trucks serving up a wide variety of food!
What else is on your 2018 Columbus Downtown Summer Bucket List? Share your favorite upcoming events in the comments below!
Looking for the best apartments in downtown Columbus? Whether you’re searching in the Arena District or Grandview Heights, it’s best to get an idea of what your potential new place looks like by touring a model of the apartment.
By touring a Columbus apartment model, residents-to-be not only visually see the size and layout of each room, but also get stunning (and affordable) apartment décor suggestions to help maximize their space.
Recently, four of the best Columbus apartments–Arena Crossing, Flats on Vine, Flats II and Apartments at the Yard: Manchester–had their models’ décor completely redone by Value City Furniture’s top interior designers.
Take a look at each apartment model before and after their new Value City Furniture facelift and learn a few great tips for getting the most out of your next new space from the designers themselves.
And for a limited time, when you tour a model at one of these four downtown Columbus apartments, you’ll receive a 10% off coupon to Value City Furniture to help replicate the look in your own space!
Arena Crossing | Arena District | Columbus, Ohio
Value City Furniture Designer Tip #1: Use Space Cleverly
Interior designer Ricky Gonzalez suggests maximizing your space with bookshelves, tables or ottomans with hidden storage, and furniture customized to your needs. He also recommends adding flair to your walls with art or lighting, so you don’t lose valuable square footage. Mirrors are especially great for apartments because they add depth and make the room look bigger.
Flats II | Arena District | Columbus, Ohio
Value City Furniture Designer Tip #3: Remember to Edit
According to interior designer Jeff Blasi, you don’t have to display everything you own. If you don’t adore it, or you don’t need it, get rid of it. This leaves room for a great statement or focal piece. While it may seem strange, styling an apartment with just a few large-scale pieces–rather than a ton of mini furnishings–can actually make your room feel more spacious.
Value City Furniture Designer Tip #4: Make Every Piece Count
Interior designer Bethany Stimely suggests choosing furnishings that offer maximum functionality–like recliners and storage ottomans. If your apartment has recessed nooks, use that corner for storage. If you can find the right-sized desk or dresser, the nook will transform from waste of space to ultimate storage solution!